FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Oversells AA76, Strands 27 8th Graders at LAX
Old Apr 2, 13, 2:53 am
Phoenixtinct

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
If this is not April Fools joke, I have to say I can't side with the ones saying the group was supposed to find another adult and just split the kids. If anything, it's much easier to IDB people traveling alone or couples. Why didn't AA look for 6 people to boot and accommodate the entire group?

I'm suspecting that all of the group passengers were on 1 PNR, so they needed permission to split them up. I don't consider this VDB and here's why:

1. The group (whatever the total number of passengers) was obviously ticketed for this flight and they received boarding passes at the airport before going through security and arriving at the gate.

2. Based on the article, they were asked at the gate to split the group up. There is no scenario if I am confirmed on a flight and am at the gate on time that would result in being VDB. AA didn't fulfill their duty, which was to honor the tickets sold for that flight. They were the ones that made an offer that the group leader (the school's principal) chose not to entertain. So, how come the group is at fault for not willing to give up their right to 27 seats on that plane but the rest of the passengers that also chose not to IDB, are not being discussed?

If I was working that flight, I would have found 6 people and IDB them and accommodated the group. It's much easier to accommodate 6 people on other flights than it is to do so for 27 that have to travel together - especially, with how full planes are these days. A group of this size should not be split up. Even if it's simply a family of 2,3,4 or more. If they are all on one reservation, you can't just expect them to split up if necessary just because there are 2 adults.

There was a time I watched a lot of court TV shows and this reminds of cases where there is an accident and the defendant brings up the point - well, if they listened to me and had the car fixed at a friend's shop where I won't be charged for labor, just pay for parts, we wouldn't be here. Instead, the plaintiff usually goes to an authorized service place for their make and model that is always way more expensive. So, my point is: AA was in the wrong here - they sold more tickets than they had seats - they can't say afterwards what's acceptable and what's not to remedy the situation.