FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid SIM - France
View Single Post
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:27 pm
Cobijonz

Orange - Service Review

Hi,

My family and I spent 10 days in Paris last month and I bought 2 prepaid SIMs from the Orange store just south of Place St. Michel. I paid 10 Euro per SIM which I was told included unlimited voice and text to French numbers for one week. For an additional 5 Euro, I could add data. Was told service would turn on in an hour or so and that was the case for both SIMs. They seemed to offer all sizes of SIM (I needed standard and micro).

I found the data reception spotty, both Edge and 3G showed up on my unlocked iPhones, at the various tourist sites in and around Paris. Was told that the number would be lost after 6 months of no use or top-up's. I could top up over the internet if I wanted.

The one weird event had to do with my voice and texting capability. Having not used the phone to make a call and only used it for 3-4 texts, I was locked out of voice and sms after 2-3 days (inconvenient as it happened on a Sunday). My data service continued to work fine and my wife's phone continued to work fine for all three services. I took the phone into the store on Monday and was told I was out of credits. I didn't argue (as I don't speak French) and added 5 Euro more as we were only staying a few more days.

In summary, I would use them again, might try to find someone who speaks English better (or bring a friend who speaks French for me).