FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Early Gate Control -> IDB?
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:04 pm
arcticbull

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Greysword
Unfortunately, by accepting the $200 voucher, the OP waived his/her rights to cash based on the FAA pronouncement 14CFR250 as linked in nwff's post. However, the UA agents were required to present a copy of the CFR rules at the time of denial. If this did not occur, then UA is in violation of another section of the CFR. I would suggest an email to UA's management explaining the situation and the missing documentation, then request cash compensation under the CFR for an IDB. If they reply in the negative, send a reply informing them you will be filing an official complaint with the FAA if this can not be resolved in the next [fill in time, 30 days?].

That should get them hopping. Also, read the DOT 14CFR250, it is fairly short and straight forward.
So I was about to post this exact scenario -- right now from my hotel room at YYZ. I got early gate control'd out of a seat. Long story short, they told me the only way they would rebook me that day was if I signed a VDB form. However, I refused all compensation (they offered a $100 travel cert -- haha). It looks like what you guys validated what happened to me, and I plan to take this up with UA (and if they won't budge DoT).

As far as I'm concerned what happened now is that they arranged alternate carriage which will get me to my destination over 9h later -- entitling me to 400% of base fare, in this case almost $900 in real dollars. I'll keep you guys updated on what my signing the VDB form meant given I took no compensation from them. Essentially they were refusing to rebook me until I signed the paperwork.

FWIW I was also not presented with any CFR rules.

Best part? They promised me a hotel at YYZ. Told me to find someone when I got here. Too bad there's nobody to find at 9:00pm Phone rep told me to get my own.

Last edited by arcticbull; Mar 31, 2013 at 8:18 pm