FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:43 pm
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
A # of blogs are still hobbies for people, but my guess is your intent is to focus on the 3-6 that are more of a commercial nature. Is that enough to justify a new forum? Right now, given that there are current forums available such as Travel Tools, Milesbuzz, Travelbuzz & car, hotel, air, credit card forums, I would say no.

Cheers.
I used to think that only a few blogs were run like businesses meant to make money, and that most were a hobby.

After scratching the surface of the current points and miles blogosphere, I realized how naive I had been.

Most of the points and miles blogs are set up to make money or otherwise benefit the blog owner through credit card affiliate programs, google ads, free travel, etc.

Read the existing threads on blogs. I think you will find it an eye-opening experience. It certainly was for me.

And I don't think they belong in Travel Tools, because blogs are not tools in the way software or booking engines are. They are more akin to news outlets. But at your suggestion, I did not make this motion to include blogs with other news outlets because of your concern about diluting the Travel News forum.

And I do think blogs are a unique enough commercial venture...specific to points and miles (the exact charter of FlyerTalk) and directed at FlyerTalkers to be their customers...to warrant their own forum.