FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Hyatt have a policy on cleaning glasses and cups in hotel rooms?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:47 am
RichardInSF
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
A few years back, there were several TV exposes showing maids cleaning glassware at sinks in guest rooms. Starwood subsequently came up with a policy that all glasses are to be hygenically cleaned.

Does Hyatt have a similar policy?

I was surprised to be in my room in a Japanese Hyatt when it was cleaned and see all the dirty glasses and cups taken to the sink to be washed. Yet Japanese have a high focus on hygiene. Witness all those who go out in public with face masks. I have no desire to get anyone in trouble over their job, but I also think this is poor practice for a high end hotel.

Thoughts?
It is clearly not best practice, although if the water is very hot to the touch it should be sufficient (my old Peace Corps training is coming in here). Sure hope it wasn't the PHT!

Incidentally, I don't think the face masks are worn for hygiene reasons in Japan, it is usually done because many Japanese think it will lessen the effect of their pollen allergies.