FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taiwan: Dropbox and Gmail?
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:55 am
elCheapoDeluxe

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PaperQueen
I know internet speeds are good there, but having been in parts of Mainland China where the speeds were fine---but access to certain domains was blocked---taught me to never, ever take things for granted.

Technically, Taiwan is part of the R.O.C., which is what has me curious. Anyone out there with firsthand knowledge that can confirm one way or the other? My Google searches are leaning more toward "blocked" than "not blocked" right now.
Let's put down the subject of censored internet for a minute. More importantly, I think you may want to brush up on your history for cultural reasons before you go. Here's the boiled down version:
  • In Taiwan, if you say Taiwan is just part of China - that would probably be pretty offensive.
  • In China, if you say Taiwan is their own country you could find yourself in a re-education camp.

You know that whole thing we have in the US where we go through congressional hearings every time we sell weapons or lend support to Taiwan to defend themselves as an independent country lest the PRC feel invited to invade them, while at the same time trying not to piss off China irreproachably? You know that whole "pivoting our axis" of military strength to the Pacific that we're undergoing right now? Yeah. Time to find out what that's all about....

Not trying to flame you, but I think it would be better to prevent any offensive gaffes on your visit.