FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel etiquette in seeking airline aisle seat.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:34 pm
Apieinthesky

Originally Posted by cbn42
In my opinion, a family sitting together is more important than you not having your bag close and having to put it in the overhead. Of course you would have had the right to refuse without explanation, and they couldn't have forced you to do anything, but I would consider anyone who did that to be a self-centered jerk. I'm glad your husband did the right thing.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree completely. Mainly due to the fact that people's situations are different. You don't know why people refuse to change seats (especially if they give no explanation, which they are definitely not obligated to do). It may not be important for a family to sit together (it definitely wasn't for me when I was a kid; I would've been quite happy if I was sitting in a different row from my parents and another passenger refused to switch )

If you can't get seats together, you shouldn't expect to sit together. If you do, be thankful to the other passengers that moved for you. Don't expect others to inconvenience themselves to accommodate you.

Originally Posted by goku001
Don't think anything wrong in etiquette here. Can very easily refuse if you do not want to move. Hope he helped youove your baggage though? But then again... How bad can a seat in first class be?
OP doesn't say what plane and what airline, but AA's 738s have less legroom in the bulkhead. I have relatively long legs, and would much prefer a non-bulkhead F seat. Especially if I was in a window, I'd get cramps if I can't stretch my legs out fully for a few hours.