FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - lack of cabin passenger safety
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:59 pm
JonMST

Programs: Goodwill Club Blue, Starbucks Gold
lack of cabin passenger safety

Was on evening flight out of JFK last week. Every seat apparently sold.

During safety briefing, it was quite loud, like a party ignoring the safety briefing.

For takeoff, people were turning their phone screens off, not turning phones off completely.

After some altitude gained and seat belt lights still on, FAs started selling snack boxes. Person across aisle from me asked FA if he could use lavatory. FA said yes. Two people from that row went to lavatories, while the other person pulled down a bag from overhead then went to back of aircraft to chat. I flagged an FA, asked for purser and she confirmed she was purser. I asked if seat belt light was on. She looked around for the lights and said yes. I asked why passengers were walking around. She said she didn't know. During this conversation, person in row in front of us got up and walked to front of aircraft. I pointed that out, said the inattentive safety briefing and people walking around is dangerous to FAs and me. I asked her to seat everyone, and she said she couldn't. I told her she had federal authority to do so, and she said that is not what they are taught by JetBlue. We went back and forth on this until she asked me if I wanted her to make an announcement that the seat belt light was still on. I said yes, and she went and did that. FAs never asked a specific person to go back to their seat. Spoke with purser again and she agreed with me about safety but had no authority to tell people what to do for safety.

After flight I spoke with captain who said the FAs get fired if there are three complaints, so they won't do anything. Captain said JetBlue tells him the only way a passenger can stop a take off roll is if a passenger is actually in a lavatory. A passenger walking around during take off roll or using cell phone would not stop the aircraft.

I will contact the company and for my safety I will not fly JetBlue. What else should I do? Does FAA listen to passengers? Is it possible/helpful to get after-flight purser report?