FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-resident US Citizen visiting Cuba?
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:51 pm
Busylizzy

Programs: Star Alliance
Non-resident US Citizen visiting Cuba?

Hi... I'm a US-Citizen living in New Zealand (and have done so since I was 13 years old). I have recently obtained NZ citizenship after 30+ years here, and will have a NZ passport shortly.

I will be visiting family in Wash DC area later this year, and was thinking that I'd like to spend 2-3 weeks in Cuba on my way back home. I'd probably fly from Wash DC via Cancun, and then fly back to NZ via SFO as I already have a SFO-AKL ticket.

I understand the legal issues around US citizens spending money in Cuba. I also understand that the restrictions apply to non-resident citizens who have dual citizenship (as in my case). If I were to fly back direct back to NZ, this may not be a problem, but I will be re-entering the US as I fly back to NZ via SFO (either in transit, or overnight).

What I haven't been able to determine is whether or not it matters that the money that I would invariably spend was earned in NZ, and not in the US? Is that a loophole that makes these potential 'spend money' issues go away for me?

Would appreciate any insite or suggested web links...