View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 13, 6:29 pm
Wan1dap
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by mgiarc View Post
So, a friend of mine flew LHR-SIN-PER in Y in February last year and a delay to the LHR-SIN sector due to a technical issue with the aircraft meant a missed connection and over 13 hours delay in arriving at PER. She made a compensation claim under EU Regulation 261/2004 for EUR 600, but this was refused by SQ on the basis that a delay did not give rise to a compensation obligation, even when a reasoned response was given as to why this was legally wrong.

Following the decision in October of the European Court of Justice in Nelson v
Lufthansa and TUI Travel v CAA, which put the point beyond any doubt, she wrote again asking for compensation.

SQ did not reply until last month, saying:

The attached form included the following, which my friend was asked to sign:

I naturally told her that she should refuse to provide an indemnity, as they were legally required to pay the compensation, so she deleted the underlined wording and returned the form, to which she received the following reply:

This is outrageous! If they were e.g. a financial services company they would never get away with sending such an email.

Has anyone else received the same? My suggestion was to refuse to sign the form and give them 14 days to pay before beginning county court proceedings. I would also be off to the newspapers in the meantime.
Ridiculous. Newspapers? You sound like a vexatious litigant. She's getting the money she's due. They simply want acknowledgment that the claim is settled in fully and finally. Quite reasonable and normal.