FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Could learn from this
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:09 pm
ACYYZ/SD

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Fizzer
My wife and I recently took reward flights to SIN with AC. The trip was made at short notice so we were in the back of the bus and had some indirect routing. My wife is diabetic so we had ordered special meals.

We flew from YYC to LHR on AC 850. A horrible experience. We were truly towards the back on a full flight with a couple of school trips. There was less legroom, or so it seemed to me, than on a short haul on a Dash 8 or CRJ. The FA said they had squeezed in extra rows. For such a long flight it was horrible. I have always foung AC to be more generous with seat pitch but I guess that is a thing of the past.

At LHR we used our *G status to use the SQ Lounge to shower/ freshen up. When we came to board we found they had upgraded us to the Business Class cabin, which we were not expecting as we were after all both humble Es and were also on Reward Tickets.

This is where the difference in service really came though. It turned out that they had no diabetic meals in the J Cabin. This was a total non issue for us as there was a pretty good choice of menus and my wife was able to select perfectly adequate ( more than adequate I would say ) meals from the menu and to pick and choose what she ate. We never said a word. However, at the end of the flight both the Senior FA in J , followed by the SD, both came up and apologized profusely for the lack of diabetic meals. Now there were meals for her but in the Y Cabin where we were expecting to be and I guess they hadn't wanted to serve that in J. Anyway my wife was telling them that it was not a problem at all, not even the tiniest bit. However, despite our protestations they insisted on giving her a S$100 certificate to use on in flight purchases on our return flight. Now that is what I call service.An unexpected upgrade followed by compensation because the upgrade wasn't up to thei standards. Kudos to SIA and a lesson in Customer service for AC.
Sounds like you had a great flight and absolutely agree that the S$100 certificate was most generous! Regarding your AC flights - there hasn't been a configuration change on 767's/A330's/777's since the aircraft was "XM'd" several years ago. No extra rows have been squeezed in. When a customer has been upgraded from Y>J, in the absence of a special meal appropriate to the class of service, we give the option of brining the Y meal forward if there is nothing suitable from the regular J menu. This most commonly occurs with Kosher, Diabetic and Gluten-Free meals. Not to take anything away from top notch SQ, rest assured that most of us will make use of all resources on board to ensure our customers comfort.