FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:20 am
arjunrc

Originally Posted by Always@YVR
...so you really are a two-bagger Arjunrc! A true one-bag solution is challenging for business trips...it is hard to conceive of one piece of luggage that can carry business attire for a week, can fit overhead in a regional jet, and can also be taken to business meetings. Realistically, two bags are required (whether or not they are zipped together) with the second being a small piece that looks acceptable in the boardroom.

Appreciate some of the great tips you shared...I have ordered a Grid-It and a Kikkerland adapter thanks to your wisdom! ^
No, I don't agree with your definition of a two bagger.

If you are carrying two separate bags for the most part (travel to airport, checkin, while on flight), you are a two bagger.
If you are carrying just one bag for the most part, and that bag in its entirety fits into the dimensions of what is considered one bag by airlines and the airlines agree its one bag, then its one bag. (Why do airlines need to agree its one bag? Simple - many airlines today charge you for a second luggage, irrespective of its size). Exceptions don't prove the rule here, Generality does.

I could easily answer your question by saying 'Yes, I take my garment bag to meetings as well even if I have the option to keep it in the hotel' but that would be stupid. That's not the same as saying 'I don't take it because the bag looks unprofessional to take to the customer'. Having the _option_ to split into two is different from always being _forced_ to carry two. Exceptional cases (CRJs + 5 days worth of clothes) which mandate a two bag split of a one bag are also not justifications that ergo, this is a two bag system.
Here is another exception: If I shop, and my bag overflows, and I travel in a CRJ, I use 3 bags! - I need to take out my overflow bag. Oh no. So I am really a 3 bagger, because we found one scenario.

I doubt you'll agree, but I don't think it matters. Its fine if you think your two bag system is the inevitable truth, really.

You are welcome re: other tips.

Last edited by arjunrc; Mar 5, 2013 at 10:40 am