FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Jeff comments on loss of "unmanaged" corporate traffic/PRASM at JP Morgan conference.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:01 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mitchmu
How do you know this?

Every company I have worked for has been locked into one of the major legacy carriers, and flying on anything but the approved carrier has required an escalation and special approval. These are all large organizations - Fortune 500.
I'm in a F500 company, my 3rd in a row, and we've always had the discretion to select any carrier based on price and schedule with a somewhat strong-subtle push to preferred carriers - but booking around a preferred carrier was never a problem. It was always about price.

I can book around UA very easily at my day job - the problem is I go out of my way to book ON them - so the question to UA is, do you realize that major corporate accounts can easily book around you and cost you hundreds of millions in revenue for no other reason than these customers are unhappy Elites?

It almost comes down to a game of 'who is it gonna be'? - Kettles paying $15 to stand in the elite security line or a 1K who spends 10-20k a year on travel?