FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL customer rebooted onto UA due to MX. Will I be charged Bag fee? Dry ice fee?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:57 am
PTahCha
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by fastair
Not sure (doubt) that hazardous materials (and dry ice checked is treated as such) can be interlined. If DL issues a tag as such, my guess is that they would be circumventing DoT rules re:the regulations on transporting said materials.
Is there a reg against interlining hazardous material? If DL properly follows the hazardous material guideline, and all criteria are met with labeling and size limit, what's the concern?

post script: Just read the reg:

Dry ice (carbon dioxide, solid), with the approval of the operator:

(i) Quantities may not exceed 2.5 kg (5.5 pounds) per person when used to pack perishables not subject to the HMR. The package must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas; and

(ii) When carried in checked baggage, each package is marked “DRY ICE” or “CARBON DIOXIDE, SOLID,” and marked with the net weight of dry ice or an indication the net weight is 2.5 kg (5.5 pounds) or less.

i guess technically only DL would approve the package at the time of check-in, and when interlining UA could potentially reject package, and now it's in bag limbo. Could OP get approval from UA ahead of time?

On a separate note: Why not use the frozen gel packs to avoid all the issues?