FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:12 am
othermike27

Originally Posted by emvchip
The list (at least for non-prepaid) is still very useful to keep tabs on which cards are Chip & Signature as opposed to the coveted Chip & PIN. Maybe adding a "hybrid" category for the cards that use Chip & PIN only when a signature is unavailable would be useful.
First off, many thanks to kebosabi for starting the list and keeping it updated this long! It is a useful compendium and starting point for information on this topic. I think it's still useful to maintain, since there is likely to be increased interest in the topic as more USA chip cards are offered and as more travelers report their experiences.

A bit of reading on other sites suggests that all EMV cards can handle more than one type of verification, with the method used for each transaction being a sort of "negotiation" between what the card will accept and what the seller (merchant or kiosk) offers. If I have this right, I'm guessing that all chip+pin cards are able to fall back to chip+sig if needed. I am only guessing so it would be great to have this verified by someone in the card processing industry who actually knows the story!