FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No liquor
Thread: No liquor
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:53 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I know a lot of things but I am not omniscient, so I did what anyone else that was curious would do, I Googled it.

A lot of people have alcohol intolerance which resembles an allergy, but the alcohol must be consumed. There is another condition call Asian Flush (because it occurs primarily among this ethnic group and not a slur) that is an intolerance to alcohol because of a genetic condition. It is quite rare and also requires direct contact or consumption.

There are others that can not tolerate the fumes of alcohol. My wife is one. She has to hold her breath or have ventilation in the room when getting an injections because when she smells the alcohol she will pass out. It is not truly an allergy but a reaction to the VOC's in the alcohol. Her reaction is always to wood alcohol. She is not bothered at all by the fumes of grain alcohol.

Bottom line, yes, but it is very rare.

That said, our policy is to avoid places where the problem may occur, as it is with all of our allergies. To place oneself in an enclosed environment with 180 people and expect all of them to bend their desires to your condition, particularly when the consumption of alcohol is one very common activity on a plane trip of 5 hours, is asking great tolerance of your fellow passengers.