Old Mar 2, 13, 2:33 am
wwnz

Airline: Emirates
Route: Auckland-Melbourne
Flight number: EK407
Duration: 4 hours
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Seats: 2E and 2F

It was finally time to board so we gathered our things and headed down to the gate. Auckland airport uses only one airbridge, through which everyone boards. Boarding was no hassle. Walking down the airbridge I was caught in a strange mixture of excitement and nervousness. We made the exciting left turn at the door of the aircraft, walked past the business class cabin and on towards the first class cabin.

Our seats for this flight were 2E and 2F, as we wanted to sit side-by-side. First impressions of the cabin were…incredibly spacious! The lack of overhead bins really does add a feeling of openness. The suites themselves were enormous and much bigger than the sense we got from looking at photos and videos in trip reports.

There was a lot to take in and absorb in a short space of time as we settled into our seats. Jackets were placed in a little closet located between the two rows of suites. Storage for bags was mainly underneath the screen in the ‘footwell’. I snapped some quick photos of the cabin, aware that others may be boarding at any time. Turns out I need not have been worried as we ended up being the only two passengers in the first class cabin. What a way to start a trip!

We were offered newspapers, magazines, and our first glass of the 2003 Vintage Dom Perignon. Having read so much of the hype around this champagne I was half-expecting to be blown away with my first sip. It was certainly nice but not out of this world. Then again I’m no champagne connoisseur so what do I know . My partner had some Arabic coffee as well which he really enjoyed as it had a strong nutty flavour. To finish off the pre-departure goodies we both had a delicious praline. We spent the rest of the time before take-off figuring out the various bits and bobs of our suite (which really amounted to me figuring everything out as I’m the technology nut and then showing my partner how it all worked, bless him).

A glass of Dom.

Warm mixed nuts

Last edited by wwnz; Mar 23, 13 at 10:10 pm