FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:40 pm
alex_b

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by naseefc
I was pricing out an award ticket on UA like this:

origin(us)-connection1(asia)-connection2(asia)-destination(asia)
(repeat for return)

This comes out to an awesome 65k which is great, but I am wondering what the rules are for stopover and if it will allow me to convert one or both of those connections into stopovers instead so I can visit that place for a couple of days?

I tried to do this online by using multiple destinations, but the engine shows no availability between the connections, even though when I search origin-destination, the connections are there (unavoidable).

The reason I am not using specific cities is because there are multiple choices for which connections I can take, although always that same setup with 2 connections.

Thanks for the help!
You're allowed one stopover on a roundtrip award. Stopovers count as >24 hrs at your connection point, so you can get a free quick look around a city if the airport and tourist sights are close.

Also you may consider additionally using an open-jaw at your destination if you're happy to pay out of your own pocket for a low cost intra-asia flight with another carrier.

For example:
Origin - Conn 1 (stopover)
Conn 1 - Conn 2 (Open jaw)
Conn 2 - Intended Destination (BOOKED AND PAID FOR SEPARATELY)
Destination - Origin (via any route but with no connections >24hrs)

I would suggest researching the flights you want (and noting down the availability, flight numbers, dates etc). Then book the straight roundtrip online and call United within 24hrs to create any stopovers or open jaws that you require.