FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Three Weeks in Bhutan
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 13, 4:53 pm
glennaa11

Programs: most of them

Around lunch time we headed out of town even farther east to Ranjung. Ranjung is a new town with paved streets laid out in a grid. The government was trying to get people to move to the town but people weren’t interested in leaving their traditional homes. So Ranjung remained largely empty.

Tashigang Dzong. Tashigang is quite a large town that was on the way to Ranjung

Ranjung guesthouse was quite new but very basic. There was a caretaker who made the meals in a small building behind the guesthouse. They actually had satellite TV there. I spent a bit of time watching EPL football there.

I think overall this may have been my favorite day on the trip. From school sports day to meeting a gentleman who lived next to the guesthouse who was a teacher at the local highschool. It was very interesting to talk to him about Bhutan and the world. He was taking care of the enormous house next to the guesthouse for its own who spends a lot of his time in the US raising money for the monastery in Ranjung.

The next day we went to the town of Radhi which is the farthest east we went. Folks who trek to the recently opened tribal areas in the far east that we long closed to visitors leave from Radhi. There’s not a whole lot here other than a big convent and a couple of schools.

There are tons of stray dogs all over the country. Some people are kept awake by their barking and howling at night.

Convent in Radhi

View from the backyard of the Ranjung guesthouse

Ranjung Monastery

Last edited by glennaa11; Feb 28, 13 at 5:00 pm