FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Three Weeks in Bhutan
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 13, 4:04 pm
glennaa11

Programs: most of them
The next day we made the long 10 hour drive from Tang to Mongar. This was the longest drive of the trip and took us over the highest pass in the country at Thromshingla.

Mongar is a pretty good sized town in the east of the country. The hotel here was one of the nicer ones on the trip.

I should take a minute to talk about the food. I was told that the tourism department requires all of the hotels to send their cooks to school to learn how to cook for foreigners. This means you end up eating the same food a lot. I did find the food in the east to be better than the west. Perhaps that was due to the closer proximity to India so there was more meat and it was better. You end up eating a lot of red rice, potatoes, curried eggs, scrambled eggs, fried eggs... The national dish is a mix of cheese and chili peppers. Too hot for me. In the east we ended up with more chicken and beef curry type things which were very tasty.

Ura, a big town on the way to Mongar

Thromshingla pass

We spent a couple of nights in Mongar. THe day after arriving there we took a day trip up to Lhuntse. My guide is from there so we visited his family’s home to have lunch. They are farmers with a very big house. It was quite basic.

Lhuntse Dzong

There was an archery tournament going on in the shadow of the dzong. The target is that little white board. The archers shoot from very far away, probably the length of about 150 yards or so.

View from the hotel in Mongar