FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:47 pm
Alex_I

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by JakeW
Newb here, but have been lurking for a while. Just want to say thanks to everyone who contributes here, I am now addicted to points before I've even got off the ground!
Here's my challenge:

My mother-in-law wants to do 7 nights in Maui in Kaanapali for 6 adults or nearby (Lahaina or similar) for her 50th birthday. We’d stay from Feb. 11th to Feb. 18th 2014 (ish). T....
-Jake
If you are a little flexible with dates, you may consider staying in Westin from Feb 21, 2014. Then your nightly rate will be 12K SPG points per night. Because SPG will give you the 5th night for free, you may want to stay 02/21/2014-02/26/2014 for 48K SPG points per room. This will give you 2 rooms for 5 nights for the total of 96K of SPG points instead of just 3 nights if you are staying before Feb. 21.
We had no problem with taking our 15 year old son for an award stay at Westin Maui.

Finally, for 6 adults in the party I would simply rent a condo or a 3 bedroom townhouse for the entire stay and shop for supplies at the local Costco.
This way you will not be paying for an extra adult and avoid resort fees that are added to the award stays. And if you don't mind cooking your own breakfast you will be $aving even more.
This would save you and your wife enough SPG points for another nice vacation!