FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo from above; which observation towers to visit?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:04 pm
BalbC

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by mjm
There is nothing that even remotely compares to the roof of the Mori Tower at Roppongi Hills. Sky Tree is taller, but is so far away to one side of the city that there is no panorama like with the Mori Tower.
Agree. The Mori tower is more central and the view is great.

Tocho is pretty rubbish, the windows are small and at odd angles. Another free option for views to the west is the Shinjuku sumitomo building, with a bigger window. There's a few other buildings around west shinjuku with public observation decks or good views from restaurants (can be cheaper to go for a drink and get a nice view than some of the paid observation options - also true of the Landmark tower in Yokohama). Looking east, the views from the Park Hyatt are good from the bar or even the lobby, particularly night views.

I"ve not been up the Skytree yet, but not only is it expensive, you are tied to an advance ticket (so the weather might turn out terrible) and the day tickets are still busy, so a potentially long wait for a ticket slot if you buy on the day. It seems sunset is the most popular time there so hard to get a day ticket for those times.

Tokyo Tower is not that great from either deck, is expensive, and has the disadvantage that you can't see the tower itself! On that side of Tokyo, the World Trade center has a good view of Tokyo Tower and across the bay a bit (and it's cheaper). I also like the view from the Fuji TV ball or anywhere on the Odaiba waterfront - nice view of the waterfront skyline back on the mainline.

In terms of seeing Mount Fuji: views are very weather, time, and season dependent. In the winter there are clear views most cold mornings, but often it disappears quickly. E.g. first thing today, I had a reasonable view from my office, but it was gone before lunchtime and there's not even an outline now. Once it warms up, the haze takes it away and you get occasional glimpses in the Spring and autumn, but you still can get great sunsets on a good day when the sun tips just below the summit. Views are very very rare in the summer.