FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Freaking out passenger forces plane back to gate
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:36 pm
Fireman812

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by Medic1
Here's a follow up question: What if this woman had demanded to get off 10 minutes after wheels up? Do you turn around, or do you physically restrain her (if necessary) for the duration of the normally scheduled flight?
My wife was on a MCO - ORD flight some years ago. About 20 min's into the flight a FA got on the PA and asked if "medically trained persons" could come to the front of the aircraft - my wife and I are both Paramedics. She volunteered, evaluated a patient that was having a cardiac event, was asked several times if the patient could "make it" to Chicago which was still over 2 hours away. She said, in her opinion, "No", and the captain turned the plane around and returned to Orlando.

Tough situation all the way around and makes us not want to be involved or offer an opinion when there are so many interests effected. My wife did receive some negative comments from some pax but most were just concerned for the patient. She also received a personalized letter from UA's medical director and a $300 voucher for assisting on the flight.