FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Review of new F wing
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:58 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by beachfan
The wine and liquor offerings were pathetic. chivas 12 for scotch. Champagne bar not open until 11:30. Food offerings weak.

However, I didn't have any problems with service - got the ala carte menu right when asked.

Still can't get over the poor wine list - bourgogne, not even village. Village Chablis by Louis Michel is probably the best wine. They did have Moet Rose, which was decent (but no Billecart Salmon).
Interesting, I didn't try the wine but the booze on the shelf at the bar did seem rather average. Bummer to hear about the wine selection. Wine is a weakness of CX.

Although not a mind-blowing upgrade, I (thought I) noticed an upgrade in food quality (buffet only, didn't try a la carte). Dim sum seems better than The Cabin and Wing J. When I visited Wing F the siu mai with roe on top was bigger, more plump and tastier than the J version. Closer to what I'm used to in a local HK restaurant, versus the J side and The Cabin which is quality you'd expect from an airport lounge. I actually went back for seconds. They had a tasty Thai pork salad which I also enjoyed. And they were doing an attempt at Hainan Chicken, accompanied by the proper ginger, chili and thick soy sauce. Maybe I was a sucker for the new presentation, nicer serving displays, etc. my first time. But for now the food quality seems a bit better than before, and I like how when I visited the lounge there was a greater focus on Asian options. I think CX does a much better job at Asian food than they do western food, particularly in their premium classes and I hope they can reflect that in the lounges.

For CX to "win" with the new F Wing, if it even matters to them, then they'll have to do it on the soft product. Which is food, drink and service. I don't think I'm convinced yet either way, will have to get in the swing of using this new lounge and see how it plays out over the long run.