Old Feb 14, 13, 4:55 pm
Biggie Fries

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
Yeah, I think there's a lot of that on both sides. When I looked at AA, all I ever saw was decrepit old S80s with a network that would force me thru DFW for practically ANYWHERE I wanted to go. And being in OW, was partners with more airlines I didn't want to fly than ones I did with routings I didn't like.

I'm not a Dougie fan either, so I'm hoping he can pull of something that will make the US airline industry special again and create a carrier I want to fly over foreign carriers. Yeah, I'm think I'm hoping for too much too. That said, Dougie made a lot of mistakes in the past, but he also took US in the right direction, and corrected a lot of things too. Things have been improving on US for awhile. I wouldn't call it a premium airline by any stretch of the word, but then again, I don't think any of the legacies really fit that.

Like flight62 said, a he was cheap because US was small time and didn't have the resources to compete in the big leagues. Now he'll have the helm of the largest airline with a stronger network and more resources. He has visions (or delusions) of grandeur for AA, so I don't think he's going to go cheap like he did with US.

How this will all shake out is anyone's guess at this point. While I'm undecided on whether I'll stick with the new AA or not, I wish it success to try to bring the US industry up rather than continue the race to the bottom.
From your lips to somebody's ears.

I wish I could be so optimistic. I'm a niche flyer and US filled my niche. I was hoping never to see ORD, JFK, or DFW again. I understand, however, that that's just me. What worries me more for all of us who have enjoyed the FF "game" is that it's hard to imagine how less competition can result in anything but fewer seats on fewer routes, hence more of us chasing trinkets of diminishing value.

I have been wrong before, however.