FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:21 pm
drewguy

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by deltaflyinglawyer
In order to exit voluntarily from the Star Alliance, an airline should have a mininum 6 months ultimatum. So, it seems like US already has told Star Alliance that they are leaving this fall, or 3rd Qtr. I thought this will be long process to become one with several bumps on the way. government approval, bankrupcy court's approval, to name a few.
I still have approximately 300,000 miles to burn. Still enough time to do it.

Originally Posted by grahampros
That's not really what that says from US Airways. The "completed" part means that the deal is expected to officially closed in the 3rd Q, not that that is the target date of leaving Star. We just dont know that yet.
+1. Putting aside that 6 months is extremely ambitious for completing this transaction, I have a very hard time believing that the alliance changeover will be immediate upon closing of the merger, without any transition period that would allow crediting of US flight mileage to UA or another *A partner.

For that matter, under antitrust rules the companies should not even be discussing which alliance to remain with until the deal is complete. Of course, they inevitably have had some discussions about how to merge operations and rationalize their hubs and network, but they can't make joint business decisions at this point and are required to continue to operate as two separate companies. So we may not see an announcement regarding FF plans until after the merger is in fact complete, and then a transition period to avoid all kinds of consumer complaints will no doubt ensue.