FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:30 am
pb3623

Programs: US GP, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I mainly fly TPA-PHL-DCA (or TPA-DCA if I'm in a rush and forgo the extra segment & 500-mi min. shot) so AA isn't a bad addition by flight options only.

What I know/feel is about 10% actual facts and 90% inference. Like others that have posted, I enjoyed batting about .800 on upgrades (although I tend to book off-peak to make that happen).

I have a certain "fallback" list in mind that I would lose with virtually no eggs in the AAdvantage basket:
  • A generous upgrade policy
  • Preferred seat selection in Economy, incl. exit rows
  • Zone 1 boarding
  • Priority baggage handling / no fees up to 3 bags
  • Carryover of status (currently DM GP) for mileage bonus

If I can't get #1 (upgrades), then hopefully I can at least get an aisle seat in the first 5 rows in E, if not that then just give me Priority AAccess so I'm not fighting for overhead space, etc...

AA doesn't offer a status match (or at least they didn't before the announcement), rather they have a challenge you pay for but DO NOT GET THE STATUS up front. That is a big deal for those of us that have, frankly, gotten spoiled by flying in F and being among the first to board. Who wants to start from scratch?

Maybe their policy on status matching will change, but I feel this is doubtful because of the large influx of DM members, even after the exodus to UA or DL shakes out.

I'm flying to SFO next month (already have TPA-CLT-SFO booked on US metal) so going AA would be a good way to test it out (~8,000 PQM) but 6 hrs is a long time in row 25. I'm traveling with someone that is AA Plat so maybe he can get me upgraded.

To the folks that have mid- to high-level status (BIS) in multiple airline programs: how did you make the decision to diversify your flights? I've always been of the mindset to pour everything I have into one company (US, Marriott)...