FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:03 pm
etsmyers

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
A few points

Originally Posted by diver858
WOW - nothing but gloom and doom here. I personally was not a fan of the deal, but after some reading, further reflection, there may be cause for optimism.

As some have indcated in the earlier thread, we can only hope that Parker has learned his lessons well, will follow the path of quality over quantity - focusing on higher yielding routes, willing to give up on unprofitable one - which means a bunch of current US flights under the new labor agreements.

AMR was looking to hire a few thousand pilots, so there should be plenty of openings for displaced US pilots - same goes for FAs. There should also be lots more opportunities to outsource regional jets to Republic - unless US partner Mesa plays a larger role.

I am also not convinced that Parker will immediately undo efforts to attract disaffected elites from UA and DL, as the current AMR strategies are working, are not unlike some of what Parker has attempted to do with his severe financial constraints. If this proves to be the case, management will go out of their way, attempts to smooth out the many bumps in the consolidated road ahead for elites.

At the end of the day, what choice do we have?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo
1. If you all are leaving, dont let the door hit you in the crack on the way out. More upgrades

2. As a CP flying 150+ segments per year (75% Eastern time, 15% central, 10% pacific), I have had 4 flights I upgraded using miles, other than that, I have a 100% upgrade success for 27 months now. No stickers, nothing. Though our jalopies may be not the prettiest, the seats are big, and comfy and the beer is as cold in plastic, as it is in the occasional glass. That is what I am most worried about.

3. For frequent fliers, presumably for business, many of you must have failed business 101. You cant give the house away for cheap fares, coupled with union wages for long.

4. Step away from the keyboard for a week and lets see what happens. I moderate some other message forums and I would have locked this whine fest after post #2