FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to avoid BlueBird shut downs. Share your thoughts here.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:21 pm
robertw477

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I'm loading BB with beans bought with a couple different cards, one AMEX and one VISA. I'm going to max the account and then pay my kid's private school tuition with a check from BB. The school charges 3% to pay by credit so this is a much cheaper way to get the spend on a points earning card. The spend is worth the approximately 1% the transactions will cost me because the extra annual spend will mean I can make Hilton Diamond while still hitting my spend thresholds to get all of the Delta MQMs available on my Amex.

I don't see how I'm doing anything that they haven't encouraged me to do -- BB set it up so that VRs would be a convenient way to fund the account. BB will get the float on my money for a couple months until tuition is due, plus they are getting fees on every scoop of ice cream I buy. So, I see little risk of BB closing me down.

If they turn me away at some point, so be it. They'll still have to give me my money back. Again, I doubt that will happen. If Amex wants to fix any perceived abuse, shutting down BB accounts seems like killing an ant with a sledgehammer. The more logical way for Amex to cure perceived abuse is to get better reports from cheery victoria's secret so that Amex can stop awarding points on bean purchases.
A question. How do you get Hilton Diamond via spend? I thought you can only get GOLD status based on charging?