Old Feb 10, 13, 11:30 pm
danwer930

WARNING: UA 757-300 Seats 33D-F - NO DIRECTV after retrofit

I just completed a trip on UA #1043 LAX-EWR on 2/10/13. This was a last-minute change for me due to the snowstorm on the east coast. At the time of booking, I was relieved to discover that E+ exit row seats 33D-F were available, and that this appeared to be one of the few 757-300s that had actually been refitted with DirecTV. So I booked 33F.

Imagine my surprise when boarding to discover that JUST 33D-F (no other seats on the plane) have NO DIRECTV. No TV's mounted into the bulkhead (there are crew jumpseats covering 2/3 of it), and no fold-down TV's under the seat either. Just no entertainment at all. In an Economy Plus row no less! Just to rub it in, there IS a TV corresponding to 33F in the bulkhead, but it is only there to screen the safety demo - there are no in-seat controls and it does not function for the rest of the flight. Sure was fun being completely surrounded by other people enjoying their DirecTV on a 5-hour flight and not being able to watch it myself! Shame on United for not figuring out a workaround for these seats.

Between this bizarre omission, the protruding exit door, and the lack of floor stowage during takeoff/landing, I would highly recommend avoiding 33D-F on these aircraft at all costs.