FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are bloggers getting paid to fly?
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:04 pm
Astrophsx

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Well I think the title is incorrectly worded because I'm pretty sure we're coming to a consensus on that bloggers aren't getting paid but rather some here are concerned about why the numbers don't really match up.
There are several methods someone could be compensated beyond cash, so if the title were to be changed it should go from paid -> compensated.

Originally Posted by jerry305
I have no expectation that any blog is impartial. I expect a blog to have some kind of bias or tilt.

Anyone who writes a blog does so for some reason. If I can't discern that the author is writing either in the capacity of a journalist with an established publication, or if I don't sense that the person is writing because they're genuinely passionate about the topic, then, yeah, I expect they might be getting some kind of reward for trying to convince me to take a certain option.

I think it's just healthy to be skeptical of anything on the Internet.
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/11/flig...emier-lax-akl/

This would be an example of a product review.

This was added at the end of the review.
Full disclosure: Eric Rosen flew Air New Zealand Business Premier as a guest of the airline, but all opinions expressed are entirely his own.

A brief mention of being a guest of the airline was provided at the start of the blog entry. Read the review and form your own opinion if you believe compensation/gift/being a guest (whatever you want to call it) had any influence on the type of review that was given. Off topic, I'm not sure one can book an award ticket LAX-AKL with Air New Zealand w/ partner miles?

Also, if a blogger takes compensation from time to time.. could this not have an influence on future reviews? A blogger could write a horrible review of a product, but even more reason for an airline to invite them to events to get a second chance to win them over.