FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure
View Single Post
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:56 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I just talked to someone at Am Ex concerning this.

I saw a few post up someone stated they received something in their statement the change was taking place 2/1. In all honesty, a lot of times my statement goes right into the shredder unopened since I reconcile all my account in quicken online almost every day.

I had a $2,500 cell phone bill (company) I was going to charge and wanted to make sure I still received 6 pts/$ and called.

She pulled up my account and said that I would receive 6 pts/$ on phone and cable and internet charges. I told the rep I heard rumors on a few blogs that the benefits were going away with statements that closed after May 1. She put me on hold for a couple minutes and told me that the bonus on all phone and cable charges was going away May 1. She told me that would be effective with any charges MADE May 1 or later, regardless of the statement closing date (in the past when Am Ex makes a change it has never gone into effect until the statement closes that month).

I also asked her to verify if Drug store bonuses were going away, grocery purchases were dropping to 5 pts/$ and restaurants were increasing to 5 pts/$ and she verified that info was correct as well. I didn't ask her about Hilton charges since those will all go on my Reserve.

I have the fee free card and asked if those changes also applied to the surpass card, and since I no longer have a surpass card, she couldn't tell me what was changing on the Surpass.