FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is happening at DTW security?
View Single Post
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:38 pm
mikeef
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Well, there are two anecdotes (first and third) from TSA on page 45 that describe three undocumented aliens, two of whom had large sums of money which in one case tested positive for drugs, but it doesn't describe any charges in relation to the money.
Question: If a person is detained/arrested/whatevered for more than one of the above, is that person counted in two categories?

Regarding Israeli security: It is a fallacy to believe that the Israeli security folks are mind readers who can tell you are a terrorist by the way you blink. Israeli security is not a mish-mash of ineffective tactics that will hopefully catch a bad guy. At Tel Aviv, security is coordinated and trained. They know who you are before you get on the plane, where you have been, where you are going, etc.

They are looking for inconsistencies, not randomly grabbing people or applying a dragnet. As an American Jew, I was asked on my first trip through Israel if I spoke Hebrew. I had never been to Israel before and frankly, they may have thought that it would be more suspicious if I did speak Hebrew. I joked that I only spoke the ten words that I remembered from six years of Hebrew school and the agent laughed, gave me her phone number and sent me on my way. On the other hand, my wife had been to Israel about a dozen times and lived there for a year. They simply spoke to her in Hebrew without even addressing her in English.

At TLV, it isn't about the mind-reading. It's about the research.

Mike

Last edited by mikeef; Feb 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm