FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:16 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
A little off topic, but then what is the allure of ths Surpass card as opposed to the Citi Reserve Visa?

The $95 fee confers Gold status, ForEx free charges, and after the initial period, $10,000 in charges gets you one free night, and if you go all the way to $40,000 for Diamond, you also have the free weekend night under your belt.

What is the allure of Surpass except 1-2 measly extra points on some spends.

Heck, Surpass doesn't even entitle you to AXON rewards, the fee free Hilton AMEX does that!
When I had the Surpass card I never had a problem bookingAXON rewards.

I don't understand why anyone would have the surpass card over the Reserve card. Only advantage is 2 extra points per $ at Hilton and a SLIGHTLY lower fee. The small additional annual fee on the reserve is easilly offset with the free weekend night every year.

Another advantage to the reserve is that Visa is accepted at a lot more places than Am Ex.

I downgraded my Surpass back to the fee free when the card renewed in December. I'll use the reserve for most of my spending but will still use the Am Ex at Costco and for bonus categories.