FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Texas Tollways and Rental Cars
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:25 pm
themicah

Originally Posted by 0re0
TxTag also uses a pay by mail system, too, based on your plate registration. I have used this throughout the Austin and Houston areas with no problem with my rental car company, but I use the same pick up location and asked the guy what would be best. He said they just charge the tolls (plus a minimal fee from the tollway for billing, just a couple bucks per billing period) directly to my rental after drop off. I was a little skeptical, since years of living on the east coast had taught me that I would be slammed with additional fees from the rental company for going through express lanes, but I guess because this pay by mail thing is built into the Texas system, the company doesn't penalize you.
Which rental company? I mostly rent with Hertz, and I believe they outsource toll collection nationwide to PlatePass. Platepass charges the maximum toll rate (even if there are discounts for electronic payment) PLUS a $2.95/day of your rental (up to $14.75 per month) service fee if you use their service at all. If, for example, you have a 5 day rental and go through just a single $1 toll during your entire rental, Platepass will send you a bill for $15.75 ($2.95 * 5 + $1).