FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are bloggers getting paid to fly?
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:30 pm
lkar

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I am entitled to my speculation about the objectivity of a blogger.
It's not really a question of entitlement. If you're saying you're justified in doing it, that's another matter. I'm just not seeing any evidence of it. Failing to complain about the livery is a pretty slim reed to support a claim of objectivity to me. So, I agree you're entitled to express your opinion. I also am prepared to hear you out and even be convinced. I'm just not convinced. Not close, actually. I also think it's way too serious of an allegation to be leveled casually, but noted pretty clearly I understand I may be oversensitive.

It's a blog -- a writing for public dissemination and absorption. If you are suggesting that this is a challenge to journalistic integrity, I guess I agree. Except there is nothing close to the standard of journalistic integrity in play on this or any blogs.
And blogging isn't really what they "do for a living". Blogging itself does not pay money.
If it were to be discovered that lucky was obtaining actual benefits from the airlines he was reviewing without disclosing them it would be potentially ruinous to his career -- the blogging and the business he has built around it. It's a serious allegation against this blogger, whatever the standards in the industry generally. I, for one, enjoy his blog but would have a hard time seeing past it if it were revealed.

If you were a blogger purporting to objectively cover the travel industry, you would admit that lots of people think the livery is ugly/stupid/a waste of money instead of saying: "With its new livery, new premium 777 planes, Choice Fares and the Business ExtrAA enrollment bonus, American Airlines has been on a roll lately with big news."

That's an advertisement. Not an objective commentary.
Again, you don't have me convinced. Not close, really. There is an awful lot going on with AA right now. He's talking about things he's reported on his own blog. And to fault him for not saying, "lots of people hate the new livery"? Well, I'm done on that subject. I think it's a slim reed to claim bias.

And I think your presumption that the UA/CO merger has anything to do with this has no basis in fact.
You must have me confused with another poster. I didn't say this.