FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:53 pm
sgideons

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you sure about that? I thought Ink earned UR (Ultimate Rewards), and I though Ultimate Rewards could only be transferred to various airlines and hotel programs that partner with Chase. (And Hilton doesn't partner with Chase.) I've not heard of an Ultimate Rewards transfer destination that isn't a Chase partner.
I stand corrected, I had been contemplating a Marriott transfer and thought I saw Hilton on the list; needless to say, it's not there.

edit: This has been knocking around my head all day and I finally remembered that Amtrak elites and Amtrak Chase cardholders can first transfer UR points 1:1 to Amtrak, then 1:2 to Hilton. Since the minimum value of a UR point is $0.0125 (pay with points redemption), this could conceivably be a good deal for a Hilton redemption of over $0.00625 cents per point. That's a very low UR valuation and relatively high Hilton valuation, but you travel with the points you have, not the points you might want or wish to have a later time. I don't have the Amtrak Mastercard but I've been thinking about picking it up for the easy AGR points, I guess this is another possible reason. No annual fee.

Note that you have to spend $200 on Amtrak (using the Mastercard on rail tickets) to be able to make the Hilton transfers (not a problem here in New England).

Last edited by sgideons; Jan 30, 2013 at 8:40 pm