FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Run (Separate International from US Domestic)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:18 am
BiziBB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Enhanced MR Deals searchability

Originally Posted by bridgeair
Suggest that Mileage Run deals be split into US domestic, and international.

The majority of mileage runs posted are US domestic (normally no interest to me).
Splitting off the international ones (i.e. to/from US and wholely outside US) would be very helpful.
bridgeair,
There are alternatives to your subdivision suggestion.

One alternative is to allow threads to have tags, which can be used as filters, so that you can set MR Deals to be US-domestic, US-International, International, Premium-fare, airline-specific, alliance-specific or some other criteria.

Here is an example of tags: you could tag US-MR, US-Int-MR, Int-US-MR, Int-It-MR etc
http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/thread_tagging

I am not a software developer or internet forum administrator, but there are some wise and experienced people on FT who could discuss this option.

Some drawbacks of subdividing a MR forum into sub-forums is that it multiplies the time to find a good deal or some information, it makes a doubling or tripling of work for volunteer moderators and would require moderators to go and move maybe hundreds (or more?) deals into a new forum, when your wish could be granted with a more elegant solution.

I highly recommend that you read some older TalkBoard proposal threads for adding new forums to Mileage Run Deals. It will entertain you for a while!

I hope that this suggestion is useful for anyone considering slicing up the MR Forum.

PS. Suggestions are welcome regarding improving the usability of the MR forums: you can post a question or suggestion in MR Discussion.
It might be useful to raise this issue in the MR Discussion forum, since you would be impacting on many thousands of FTers and they would likely have an interest and want a say, rather than flipping the issue for a TalkBoard decision before it's discussed by MR Forum users!

Regards,
BiziBB, Moderator Mileage Run forums

Last edited by BiziBB; Jan 29, 2013 at 1:26 am