FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Saver BF and R inventory linked?
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:28 am
mre5765
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by aacharya
The OP's issue is not knowing the buckets* and the somewhat linked relationship, and then ranting later, instead of asking first.

*Which, with Expert Mode, sbm12's website, and this forum, is almost unbelievable.
Well it was news to be that the distinctly named fare classes for upgrade inventory and saver J inventory are linked. Why are they linked?

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Are you suggesting that inventory management should have read your mind about your intentions, and then, drop whatever IM strategy they have in favor of letting you book a ticket with an upgrade? Should this only happen for you, or should they be able to read everyone's mind that plans to book and upgrade using R space at booking?

My vote says this thread belongs in the least substantial complaint thread.
I disagree. It appears that upgrade inventory was available right up to the point he booked two saver J awards.

What should OP have done differently?

If it were me, knowing that upgrade and award inventory goes away at any minute (and not knowing that saver J and upgrade to J are linked) I would have booked the saver Js first (on the theory that you book the award tix first), then verified that there was still upgrade inventory before booking the revenue tickets.

Which is exactly what OP did.

But having learned the two inventories are linked, I would probably canceled the saver awards and looked for another flight to Europe that had sufficient inventory.

If this linkage has been discussed before, I certainly missed it.

I think the reactions are unnecessarily unkind.