FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:45 am
lewisc

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Checking into the Hotel MacDonald yesterday, I'm just besides myself.

I talked with Angela multiple times, and contacted the executive office plenty of time prior to our arrival to ensure Hotel MacDonald got the reservation right.

I've even early checked-in online, and ensured preferences were clearly stated on the profile.

Both my wife and I are platinum members, plus we knew a past executive at the hotel, and still when we checked in, they not only ignored our requests, but gave us a room that we regarded the lowest in the category. .
I'm confused. Did they downgrade your room into a category less then your reservation? OR Were they merely unable, or unwilling, to accommodate a non-guaranteed preference? I suspect the hotel had a high occupancy. Might not be enough "great" rooms to go around.

You said you typically stay at Fairmont 50-55 nights a year. How many of those stays are at rack rate? How many are at a discounted rate including friends and family? Reason I asked is an increasing number of hotels aren't counting stays booked with some discounts. It's possible Fairmont has an unpublished policy. In other words it's possible the room you wanted went to someone with better status.

I wouldn't have driven 3 hours home, unless the room being offered was beyond disgusting. I doubt the hotel has any such rooms.