FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - For Family, Football and First Class by Train
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:59 am
Spymon

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
The Return Home

Soon enough I arrived at Macclesfield where my car, sorry step mum was waiting to drive me back to the house. After a quick catch up we were home, strangely it felt colder in London today. Soon the quiet in the house was interrupted as my Dad came home, followed by my 3 half-brothers. The pattern for the next few days was now established, PS3, eat, PS3, dodgy US crime/detective show my step mum likes, sleep. Sure enough the threat of snow was in full effect. Of my 3 brothers, the oldest had his school closed, the middle one was sent home at lunchtime due to snow and unluckily for him the youngest had to see it thought till the end of the day. Due to the lack of school that just meant more time for PS3, so rather than just playing FIFA 13, where my form was much the same as Chelsea’s recent home record, we played Twisted Metal, where you chose your vehicle and then shoot the seven shades of **** out of each other, or in my case, one brother picks a fast car, his friend picks a helicopter and proceed to gang up on me from all angles and after getting bored with this would take each other out allowing me a little respite.

Soon enough the beatings (on the PS3 that is) came to an end, along with the amazing home cooked food and fresh coffee. Sometimes the simple things in life are the best. Despite the best of attempts of the S word, my train home was unaffected and it was time to enjoy the excellent facilities enjoyed by First Class passengers between Macclesfield and London.

I did manage to get a few snaps of the passing trains before I found myself back in carriage J but this time on the 2 side of the train.

I settled down with the iPad and awaited the meal service, though being a Saturday night the scaled back service was in operation, no table settings or real food.

Instead we had Virgin Train’s version of the BA extended breakfast/afternoon tea, the delightful snack box.

Despite the poor quality food and beverage option on the return journey the member of staff was typically friendly and polite making a number of runs during the 2 hour trip back to London. In fact the onboard service on Virgin Trains has been second to none for as long as I can remember. After a small delay just outside of London due to snow I was back at Euston and skating my way through the slush towards the tube and my journey home. Another trip was over, for family, for football for first class.
If you enjoyed this you can also read my other reports

Experiencing BA Club Europe (LHR-LYS-LHR) As Family Matters
Adventure: San Francisco, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon with VX and BA (2012)
Three Ways From A to B a Statusless Persons Guide: BA vs. Eurostar vs. Easyjet (2012) A West Coast
Voyage To India: Delhi, Agra, Orchha, Khajuraho, Varanasi (EK, SG, IT and Indian Railways, 2010)

Last edited by Spymon; Jun 2, 2020 at 10:11 am Reason: Switch host to Flickr