FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL/KL: DCA-IST ($458.50 a/i, 3.5 CPM)
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:28 am
msp2msy

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by WhoDeyWesley
DCA > MSP > AMS > IST > AMS > MSP > DCA
12,977 miles. Bookable on delta.dumb

Sample dates:
2/15-2/18 - I am choosing to stay an extra day in IST and see the sights, but it looks like you could turn around on Sunday if you choose. Anyone have recommendations for fun in IST, or pro tips for the airports in AMS or IST?
I'm in. It's 2/15 to 2/17 for me on IAD-DTW-AMS(12 hour layover)-IST(5 hours)-AMS-IAD for me. Almost a pure mileage run but plenty of time to get into Amsterdam for my first time outside the airport there. AMS had better timing for me so I'll be sleeping in IST for my 4-5 hour overnight transfer. And my wife said I wasn't allowed to go to Istanbul for a trip without her. Nor could I talk her into coming on this one.

Since I was booking an award to a Delta hub anyway, I was able to redo that award so that IAD is the destination and my trip to the DL hub became a stopover on my way home. Perfect as my positioning costs were just $5 in extra taxes for the extra award segments.

A net of $.04 CPM inclusive of positioning costs is about as good as things get when you're based in MSY.

Thanks for posting this! I like getting a MR in early in the year.

Originally Posted by arthurhs
Just arrived at IST for a 2-hr turn, was supposed to be longer, but a snow storm in AMS held things up. You don't need a visa, I got my boarding pass at the Transfer desk and then proceeded to the Millennium Lounge.
Great, great suggestion. I've not had a lot of luck with KL staff deviating from procedure. They're nice enough but never seemed terribly flexible so the thought of talking the staff in AMS into printing my return boarding passes seemed unlikely to work.