FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge {Archive}
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:27 pm
halls120
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
You describe the CDG gate experience perfectly. And that's the real problem with CDG. It can sometimes be a mess getting there and getting through it, but you really don't want to spend any more time there than you absolutely have to. The queues are ridiculous; things just bunch up without benefit of lines. Not enough Britts heading through that terminal I guess; they'd show people how to do a proper queue!

Part of the issue is that most parts of the world don't have the "personal space" needs of Americans. That was the biggest eye-opener for me, first time I visited Paris. I have since grown used to it, and gotten over my distaste for crowded big cities and actually have come to embrace them for their vibrance and energy.

If you do get to CDG early and get checked through quickly, don't head up to the gate area. Walk around, take photos of the bizarre tubes in the middle of the terminal (until security tells you not to, at which point you suddenly speak zero French), and help out those confused, of which there will be many. If you have lots of extra time, take the new train that goes between the terminals and maybe get off someplace interesting. The stop for the hotels looked like a nice place to get out for some fresh air.
All of the above describes Terminal 1 perfectly. Too bad UA doesn't fly out of T3, which is nothing like the zoo of T1. T3 is modern, spacious and pleasant.