FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will NOT maintain Honors diamond this year
Old Jan 18, 13, 5:17 pm
gk17

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Never made it to Diamond status myself...only went up to Gold (through paid nights). I would suggest staying as Gold if you plan to stay at their properties. I'm doing that now even though I'm mainly staying at Marriott and slowly going towards SPG. Always good to have a backup hotel (SPG just don't have enough properties yet) so I chose Hilton.

Two things I don't like about it:

- Even though the point earnings may be a bit higher, their point redemption value are low unless you go for a high category property

- No lifetime member status. I just started traveling for business and I'm definitely looking forward to take advantage of any program that offers a lifetime membership (Marriott/SPG).

From my experience, you don't always get a upgrade at check-in but if you stay at a property long enough and the staff knows you (by name ), they will try to upgrade you. I have seen other properties where they don't upgrade you unless you ask if there's a room upgrade available, so it varies...