FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:34 pm
mrp20

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
@thehawk75 the CFPB might be interested to hear about your experiences, along with banking regulators in your state, the district attorney's office where they're incorporated in the US, etc.

it may sound like an over-entitled and selfish move at first and i am not a lawyer, but i think it's even more important to do things like sue these companies in small claims court to the extent allowable precisely because they all operate under the assumption that people who don't have real bank accounts are not going to know the terms of agreements they make, their legal rights, the regulatory environment in which these companies operate, etc. and as a result, companies probably assume they won't be held to account if they violate the applicable terms/laws/regulations of their dealings with customers.

Sure, many of the people here may be taking advantage of promotions within the terms these companies have agreed to do business with us. But the other side of 'allowing myself to be screwed like the under-banked and pay lots of fees!' is that the same customer base is not likely to protect itself when lines are crossed.

To the extent that these companies violate the terms of agreements or maybe even applicable laws and regulations in some cases, I think it's even more important to go after them to deter their willingness to further punish their already-getting-screwed customer base.