FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Carriers in decline?
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:56 pm
SeriouslyLost
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Per capita wasn't my point.
Then why mention it? Explain to us why the number is important. Put it in context with the counterexample I gave for Chinese with passports. Tell us why simply facts of population total have relevance to the discussion of how well travelled a population is.

What you've said is about as useful as someone saying "America makes the best pizza" and someone else responding "Pizza was invented in Italy" The response is, "And?"

For the average person in England to think that Americans aren't well traveled it would be important to know that there are more Americans with passports than there are people in all of England. It puts a different light on things.
No, it simply tells us that the US has a bigger population than the UK (no news there) and that even though that percentage is still pathetically low, the outright number is higher. That's how percentages work. You haven't *explained* anything or made any *point*.

Not to mention that in the US you can literally drive for days and not leave the country, put a good hour drive will get you out of my countries in Europe.
Again, so what? The US is physically big. And? So is Russia. So is Australia, China, Canada. So what? Places like Portugal aren't. Fiji is made up of islands. India has a large population. Water is wet. Again, so what? Don't state facts: draw connections and make related assertions to form an argument.