FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IRROPS policies for UA customers: 2013 and beyond.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:46 pm
FlyWorld

Originally Posted by QBK
My uninformed interpretation of SFOFastAir's post (esp. highlighted phrases) is that the new policy is exactly about the problem that mitchmu points out above. Hotels are clearly an amenity, so I predict no change there. But if the full range of rebooking options (higher fare class, premium cabin, other airlines, etc.) are available, this is a good thing.

Honestly, I haven't had a problem with this since the merger. With one understandable exception, I've been rebooked very generously (frequently in full Y) by both PMCO and PMUA agents -- both in IRROPS and in response to quotidian SDC requests. But maybe I've just gotten lucky and dealt with agents who were willing to ignore the official policy (like the GA who told me up front that he was getting laid off in 3 days, and happily protected me on three separate itineraries, 36 hours out, in full Y). If elites can expect that kind of latitude, then I say ^.

That said... there's something of a zero-sum game here. With flights running so close to capacity, every seat that I get in IRROPS is a seat that somebody (probably with lower status, or somebody willing to pay for it) [i]doesn't[i] get. I suspect I'll like this change (whatever it is)... but I bet some group will get the short end.
sUA agents have a history and culture of serving the customer. I've found that most sUA agents will still break the rules to do the right thing. It's in their blood. But, the fresh new ones who barely have a driving license, and especially the sCO agents, have been brutal in their enforcement. It often seems like they enjoy saying no and exercising their power.

To the extent that expected behavior is dictated by a new policy and that new policy is better than existing policy, we should all be better off.

Originally Posted by cloudybw
1K/GS has always been allowed to get a hotel regardless of the reason, even before this new guideline. I was given one due to weather in June 2012.

If denied, ask the agent to search for "GG Amenity" in their system.
Curious: How does one get a hotel offer? I had a WX cancellation last year and was never offered a hotel. Since I am not, in fact, over-entitled, I actually didn't even think to ask for one. I just paid it myself.

Does it make a difference if the cancel happens before the airport? My cancel was the day before the flight, done by email.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2013 at 5:18 pm Reason: merge