FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - YYZ-HKG-NRT//HND-HKG-YYZ - CX J - And Japan Trip Details
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:41 pm
mkjr

Programs: FT
YYZ-HKG-NRT//HND-HKG-YYZ - CX J - And Japan Trip Details

Better late than never...wow, it is almost a year old...

Another family trip to Japan. This time to revisit a few places that I had been to 5 years ago….this time with my daughter. Second time for her in Japan.

Booked with BA miles…thankfully just before BA decided to screw us in NA with their devaluation.

Several calls to useless BAEC staff in NA was required for the booking. I had originally wanted to book YYZ-HKG-KIX…was told this was not possible..why, I have no idea. Even after I had already booked one ticket in F, at least in F from YYZ-HKG. Since there were only 2 J seats per flight at the time of booking, even at 355 out, I had booked an F and 2 J’s. Having booked the YYZ-HKG-KIX in F, the agent then proceeded to tell me that actually it could not be booked when I tried to book the J flights on the same itin – and was told it was being cancelled…still to this day, I do not know why.

I therefore just told the agent to book to Tokyo, HANEDA…well, that was big mess also. Having said Tokyo, Haneda EVERY time during the booking process, why when I got the confirmations back they were into NRT, is totally beyond me. I even gave the flight numbers to HND. I suppose I blame myself for not asking for flight numbers when the flight was read back but live and learn. Not less than 10 minutes after I noticed the flights were YYZ-HKG-NRT….versus YYZ-HKG-HND….I called back and tried to change…sorry, that is going to cost you. Given it had taken 5 or 6 calls already to book this in the first place, I gave up.

So booked YYZ-HKG-NRT 2J and 1F. Now originally I wanted 3 J seats but as the flight approached, I was looking forward to flying F…however, my chance in F would be dashed with CX’s removal of F out of YYZ. Now in all honesty, I really only wanted J in the first place. That said, I am still angry that there is no recourse when through no fault of my own, I am involuntarily downgraded from F to J. In fact, neither BA nor CX even advised of the same. I really only found out since as a true FT’er, I always check up on things. I actually noticed it after CX announced they dropped F on YYZ –HKG…and sure enough, I was in J…I originally tried to lay low but not less than 12 hours after I updated my telephone number in MMB for this booking, a BAEC agent called to say sorry….

So when all is said and done, 3 seats, YYZ-HKG(stop over)-NRT J (CX)… FUK-HND Y (well paid 3000 Y to upgrade) (JAL)…HND-HKG(stop over)-YYZ J (CX) – for 313,500 BA miles or actually, only, 209K miles from my CC and about 600 or so in taxes.

YYZ-HKG
Equipment 77G
CX829
Seats 21D/G/K

To all those that whine about kids in J, my daughter was asleep for 11 hours…the person using an ipad without headphones made more noise and not ONE person said anything.

Flight was great. FA had upgraded her parents from Y+ to J and also her 20 month old. Worked great. She was fantastic and pretty much did not take any break and pax in the rear J cabin pretty much had an FA in the same the whole time.

The 1:30 depature out of YYZ is great for sleep and arrival into HKG without much jet lag...I have more cabin photos on some other trip reports and later on on other segments.

Very odd to see the F fixtures on the 77G…

Food was good but hard to eat at 3am.

Love two windows.

Probably about as north as I have been on this route in the past…of course I never sleep on this flight.

Nice noodles..

Little miss mkjr wakes up and plays with electronic babysitter…WITH HEADPHONES…noise cancelling ones that is.

Last edited by mkjr; Oct 16, 2013 at 7:28 am