FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:07 am
N1120A

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by chollie
I have no information, but I'm glad you started this thread. It will be a 'first' not just for GE members, but also for CBP. Hopefully there won't be bugs to work out.

I'm also curious how it will work for NEXUS members. Unless things have changed, there's no 'renewal' interview with NEXUS. In fact, I had a friend who got NEXUS immediately after it started (it sort of replaced the old CANPASS that went away after 9-11). He let his NEXUS lapse for a couple years, then when GE started up, he wanted to get a new NEXUS, then GE (it was cheaper that way). The original NEXUS didn't even have a number on the card, so when he re-applied, he called an 800 number in Canada, gave the appropriate info, got his original NEXUS number and renewed online - no new interview, even though there had been a 2-year lapse.

As soon as his NEXUS was renewed, he applied for GE, but he didn't actually get an 'interview' at the time, he just had to go in during office hours and submit his fingerprints.

Hoping it will be as simple this time around (for both NEXUS and GE).
There actually is a renewal.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Related question: I have had GE for a couple of years. May start traveling to Canada frequently, and if so, will add Nexus. If one goes through the Nexus process when already GE approved, does one get a new 5 year period for both? Or is the Nexus expiration set to the original GE expiration? Or are there two different dates?
Not only will it reset, it expires on your birthday after 5 years. Basically, if you get it 1 day after your birthday, you will get 6 years.

Originally Posted by chollie
I wonder how the cost works.

At one time, NEXUS was cheaper than GE, and GE was 'free' if you already had NEXUS.

If that is still the same, I wonder if it makes sense to renew NEXUS first, then renew GE?

(edited to add):

Now I'm even more confused.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr.../ge_kiosks.xml

This 2/16/2012 link says NEXUS is good at GE kiosks, as long as you've gone to a GE center and done the fingerprints. ?? I don't see how that is going to work. I'm not sure if that means that renewing NEXUS first still gets GE for no additional cost.
1) NEXUS still gets you "free" GE, and its still cheaper. This is because the Canadian government insisted on the price.

2) That old link is basically out of date now. Anyone who has gotten or renewed NEXUS in the last 3-4 years had the full fingerprint treatment done at the NEXUS enrollment center. I got my card in January 2010 and automatically converted. My girlfriend got her first NEXUS in 2007 and had to go in and do the prints. No issue when she renewed.