FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 9JAN DL 201 JNB-ATL diverts to the Ascension Island
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:38 pm
PRWeezer

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Departure of the rescue 777 from ASI is delayed again from 7:00 pm to 7:45 pm to 9:30 pm now, scheduled to arrive at ATL at 3:25 am (and probably be kept on board until CBP arrives for work in the morning around 6 am). I hope the rescue bird isn't also having a mechanical; for DL to have two big expensive airplanes standed at ASI would be an expensive and inconvenient mess.
Originally Posted by davetravels
GOOD LORD - I certainly hope not, after all they've probably been through! Is it possible they weren't allowed off the plane at ASI? How many hours total were they stuck there?
I'm told there's a facility at ASI that can handle up to 300 people where they were housed during the unanticipated layover. As a possible diversion point for TATL aircraft, and with a runway long enough to accommodate the space shuttle in its day, they are prepared for such things & for additional provisions to be brought in quickly if needed.

Furthermore, DL can make arrangements for CBP to meet the flight on arrival back in ATL, they just have to alert them to the expected time. They should not have to be held on board.